The LinkedIn Challenge
I maintain a lot of different social media platforms, and each has their own nuances. In today’s adventure, I simply wanted to share a post from Ben Taylor, Dataiku’s Chief AI Strategist. But I wanted to do it a certain way. Here’s what I wanted:
- I wanted to keep Ben’s comments on the post he shared
- I wanted to add my own comments when I shared the post
- I wanted to post to my MindFuel Blog LinkedIn Page and then repost that to my personal account
- Then, if I wanted to boost the post, I wanted that option
This all sounds reasonable, right? Nothing super high tech here. But LinkedIn doesn’t work that way. In fact, LinkedIn doesn’t work ANY of those ways. Here’s what I found over my lunch break:
- If I re-posted Ben’s post, it just shared the post and erased his comments. Not cool.
- I could add my own comments, but further down the pipeline when sharing to my personal feed, they got erased. Not cool.
- I could add the post to my MindFuel LinkedIn page, and then sharing to my personal feed, my comments were erased. Cool. . . not!
- The boost police crashed my posting party stating that I couldn’t do boosting because of chapter 67 paragraph 3 section 412 which states only at the strike of midnight during a blood moon blah blah blah.
The “I own my blog” Fix
Alrighty then, as Ace Ventura might say but I cannot admit because it would open me up to a word mark debate I don’t want to have. Anyway, personal blog to the rescue. If I use my blog website to write this post, I can, with a little extra work, keep Ben’s commentary, keep my commentary, post it to MindFuel Blog on LinkedIn, re-post it to my personal LinkedIn page, and give the boost police their precious blood moon!
I am about to do just that, which just underscores the power of abstraction I published not so long ago! Layers. . . giving yourself layers will add complexity, but it also gives you more control. Ask Janet Jackson about the power of control, yo. <- and try doing that on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn Should Sub to My “Sphere of Control”
Featured image courtesy of: https://i.imgflip.com/10yin3.jpg